Field sessions give students an opportunity to put the skills they learned in the classroom to use in actual hands-on scenarios while being coached and mentored by leaders in the industry. The lessons learned in the field are an essential piece to a student’s over-all avalanche training.
The Americal Avalanche Institute will be the course provider for the NAS affiliated field sessions offered in early-2018. These sessions will be available to graduates of the 2015 & 2017 NAS classroom sessions.
Students are trained and evaluated in these skills:
• Stability Evaluation (including snow pits, stability tests & field
• Manual Weather Observations (study plot, digital data)
• Companion Rescue Troubleshooting
• Terrain Assessment, Route Selection & Safe Travel Protocols
• Avalanche Hazard Evaluation
• Risk Management
Copyright © 2013 In conjunction with the National Ski Areas Association